Minutes of Garrigill Village Hall Committee Meetings
7th November 2018
1. Present: Svava Barker, Amy Carrick, Kim Carrick, Kelly Green, Brian Grew, Tim Haldon, Clive Mitchell, Stephen Porteus
2. Minutes of previous meeting
Approved subject to inclusion of BG's confirmation of stepping down as GVH secretary with effect from the date of the next meeting. Proposed:SP Seconded:CM
3. Matters arising not appearing elsewhere on the agenda
The meeting paid tribute to the late Barbara Carrick's much-valued contribution as a committee member over the past years. She will be greatly missed.
4. Election of secretary
There being no other candidates, CM was duly elected GVH secretary. Proposed:SP Seconded:TH. The meeting was most appreciative of BG's sterling services throughout his incumbency.
5.1 TH distributed copies of the updated VH accounts. Finances were all on track with buoyant receipts from hall and bunkroom hire and the campsite. Feedback suggests that the free wifi facility is enhancing bookings.
5.2 TH estimated the VH's contribution to the playground improvements was between £1,500 to £2,000, with the balance from grants and donations.
5.3 The bunkroom online booking and payment system was now fully operational.
5.4 The parish council now requires annual application for grant aid towards maintaining the toilets, hall and playground. Agreed to apply for the same level of funding as at present. Application to be made by the end of this month.
5.5 Agreed that in normal circumstances the 3 tier hall hire charging policy is to apply whether or not bar services are also provided. CM to circulate copy 3 tier charging policy.
5.6 Agreed that the charge per person for staying overnight in the main hall be £10 to include use of kitchen and shower/drying facilities.
5.7 TH's proposal that the raising of funds for tables, chairs and trolleys be the project for next season met with approval. TH to look into and report upon costs at the next meeting. KC to check on prices of folding/stacking chairs to augment or replace the hall's existing stock.
6.1 Responses to requests for quotations were still awaited on several outstanding works.
6.2 BG aims to replace the swing seats next weekend. He wondered if there was any statutory requirement to keep the access gate to the playground closed.
6.3 Agreed that KG should obtain 2 doz. each of Prosecco and gin/tonic glasses
6.4 TH reported that the gable roof timbers were in better state than anticipated and that we could perhaps do some patching ourselves.
6.5 Agreed to maintain a visitors' comments book in the bunkroom
7. Marketing and events
7.1 Agreed that for public liability concerns the VH will neither provide bouncy castles for hall events nor sanction their provision and supervision by third parties without prior sight of valid public liability insurance.
7.2 Agreed that the Rock 'n Roll bingo quiz be deferred to Friday 1st March 2019 and be further considered at the next meeting.
7.3 SP to produce a flyer for the craft fair (17th November), Christmas party (15th December) and Christmas church events.
8. Any other business
TH reported that the planning application for the village green notice board still remained under consideration by EDC.