The North Pennines boasts some of the finest upland reservoirs and rivers, renowned for the quality of their fishing. Fish in some of England's most spectacular landscapes with excellent opportunities for beginners as well as experts!
Any angler (12 years and over) fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels must have an Environment Agency rod licence. Your licence fees help fund work to look after fisheries. If you don't get one you risk a fine of up to £2,500.
- Get your licence at local post offices, by calling 0844 8005386 or online at the Environment Agency site
River South Tyne (Alston to Langley Viaduct)
- Alston and District Angling Association
- Fly and spinning only
- Day and week permits from the Post Office in Alston
- Salmon & Sea Trout https://www.fishpal.com/England/Tyne/AlstonAndDistrictAC/?dom=Tyne
Blencarn Lake - Blencarn Hall nr Skirwith rainbow trout
10 miles east of Penrith. A single 15 acre stream fed reservoir, in peaceful farming countryside. Coloured shallow water. Fish: Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout. Day tickets are available, for more information telephone Mr J Stamper on 01768 88284. https://www.tuftonarmshotel.co.uk/Blencarn.html
Whins Pond Coarse Fishery
Edenhall, Penrith. Day permits are available, for more information telephone 01768 862671.
Cow Green Reservoir
River Allen: Allendale
River Tees (Upper Tees, North Bank)
- Raby Estate
- Fly only
- Day permits from: Raby Estate Office in Middleton-in-Teesdale or the shop at High Force
- Information on day fishing beats on the Eden and its tributaries is available from Fish Eden or phone 01768 866788
- https://www.penrithanglers.co.uk/ https://fish.edenriverstrust.org.uk/content/view/33/77/
River Wear (Stanhope Gauging Station to Rookhope Burn, Eastgate)
- Weardale Fly Fishers Club https://www.discoverweardale.com/fishing Weardale Fly Fishers Club Contact:Mr Eddie Forster Phone:01388 528712
- Fly until 1st Sept then also worm and spinning
- Day permits from: Stanhope Newsagents, Front Street, Stanhope
- 14 acre lake, off the A686 near Haydon Bridge
- Fly only
- Stocked weekly with rainbow trout
- Various day permits and boat hire available
- 01434 688846 for details and to book
- New Mills Trout Farm near Brampton - 016977 41115
Fish with Northumbrian Water at one of their well stocked and attractive upland reservoirs. Average catches are of between four and five fish. There are opportunities for coarse, fly and multi-bait fishing at Derwent, Cow Green, Selset, Grassholme, Balderhead, Blackton and Hury reservoirs across the North Pennines.
Find out more...
- Call 0845 1550236 to request your free 'Go Fishing Guide'
Have a go...
If you fancy an introduction to the world of fly or multi-bait fishing for trout why not sign up for a 'try it day' at Derwent Reservoir?
- Three-hour sessions, all tackle provided
- Call Derwent Reservoir Lodge on 01207 255250 for details and to book
Rivers and lakes
There are several excellent opportunities to fish on rivers in the North Pennines:
Our premier stocked trout fisheries open on Saturday 15 March until Sunday 30 November 2014.
The wild brown trout waters at Balderhead, Selset and Cow Green are open from Saturday 22 March until Tuesday 30 September 2014.
The brown trout season at Derwent Reservoir will open from Thursday 1 May 2014.
cow green trout https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/leisure/wild-brown-trout-fishing.aspx